Fall is here! It’s time to break out that knit sweater, those new leather boots and to ask Siri where the closest apple orchard is. Not much compares to the crispness of fresh-pressed cider or its benefits, of course. Apples are loaded with more antioxidant compounds and phytochemicals than we can name, as well as plenty of fiber. We all know the saying, “an apple a day keeps the doctor away.”
Lucky for you, our Spiced Apple Cider Muffins recipe calls for fresh apples and cider! We know you’re familiar with making cider but have you ever baked with it? Now is your chance. These muffins consist of grated apple, a mashed banana, ground flaxseed and our Vanilla Collagen Creamer for added health benefits. Start your day off with this fall breakfast staple and we guarantee it will be a good one!
Can’t get enough apples? Bonus points if you pair these muffins with a nice hot cup of homemade apple cider.
Spiced Apple Cider Muffins
Yields 12 muffins
- 1 C apple cider
- 1½ flax eggs (1½ T flax meal + 4 T water)
- ¼ C grapeseed oil
- 1/3 C mashed ripe banana
- ¼ C maple syrup
- ½ C light brown sugar
- ½ C apple sauce
- ½ t salt
- 1½ t baking soda
- 1/2 t cinnamon
- 1/2 t allspice
- ¼ t nutmeg
- ½ C grated apple (packed)
- 2/3 C rolled oats
- ½ C almond meal
- 3 T Vital Proteins Vanilla Collagen Creamer
- 1 C gluten-free flour blend (we used Bob’s 1:1)
- dried apple slices (optional, for topping)
- 1/4 C powdered sugar
- 1 t Vital Proteins Vanilla Collagen Creamer
- 1.5 t very hot water
- 1 T melted coconut butter
- Simmer apple cider in small saucepan on stovetop until it is reduced to 1/2 C, set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Prepare muffin tin with 12 liners or lightly grease pan, unlined.
- Make the flax eggs in large mixing bowl and set aside. It takes around 5 minutes to thicken.
- To the flax egg mixture, add mashed banana, grape seed oil, and maple syrup. Whisk to combine.
- Next add brown sugar, applesauce, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and whisk to combine.
- Add apple cider and stir.
- Add grated apple and combine.
- Add oats, almond meal, vanilla collagen and gluten-free flour blend. Stir to combine.
- Divide evenly amongst the 12 tins, filling all the way to the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes our clean and they’re golden brown.
- Let cool completely before glazing or unwrapping.
- To prepare glaze, combine Vanilla Collagen Creamer and powdered sugar in a bowl.
- Added very hot (or boiling) water to the sugar mixture. Stir in melted coconut butter.
- Drizzle over muffins and enjoy!