Not only does our Beef Gelatin add a wonderful nutritional boost to your diet, they can also lend a hand in creating rich, decadent desserts for your occasional enjoyment. These S’mores Bars are paleo-friendly, gluten and grain free, as well as dairy-free, if desired. A graham layer sweetened with molasses is topped with a fudge-y chocolate layer and then topped with a homemade marshmallow made with natural sweeteners and whipped up with our Beef Gelatin. Toast it up indoors and enjoy the deliciousness. Campfire optional.
Yields 12-16 bars
For the crust:
- 2½ C blanched almond flour
- 2 T blackstrap molasses
- 2 T maple syrup or raw honey
- 1 t sea salt
For the chocolate layer:
- 3 C dark chocolate chips
- ½ C full-fat milk of choice
- ¼ C coconut oil
- 1 t vanilla extract
For the marshmallow layer:
- 1 C maple syrup or raw honey
- Pinch sea salt
- ½ C filtered water
- 2 T Vital Proteins Beef Gelatin
- 1 t vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In the bowl of a large food processor, combine the Crust Layer ingredients. Process until combined and sticky looking. Scrape down the bowl between mixing, as needed.
- Dump the dough into a 9×9″ baking pan (9×13″ works for thinner layers) lined with parchment. Placing 2 long pieces into the pan, as shown above, helps with removal later.
- Press the crust flat and prick with a fork about 10 times throughout the crust. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- While the crust is cooking, prepare the Chocolate Layer by heating the milk, coconut oil, and vanilla extract in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Once melted, remove from the heat and add the chocolate chips. Allow it to sit for 3 minutes to let the chocolate melt, then whisk gently until the mix is smooth.
- Pour over the cooked crust and move the pan to the refrigerator to cool, about 30 minutes.
- About 15 minutes before removing the pan from the refrigerator, prepare the Marshmallow Layer by placing the 1 cup of maple syrup or raw honey with a pinch of sea salt into a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook until the syrup is reduce by about half (it will read approximately 260-280°F on a candy thermometer).
- While the syrup is cooking, pour the ½ cup of filtered water into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Sprinkle the Beef Gelatin over the water and let stand 5 minutes to bloom.
- Turn the mixer on low and drizzle the hot reduced syrup into the side of the bowl. Once mixed into the gelatin, turn the speed to medium for 60 seconds.
- Then move the speed to high and whip for 2-3 minutes, or until the mixture has turned white and forms thick ribbons when the whisk is lifted out. Add the vanilla extract and whisk again to incorporate.
- Scoop the marshmallow on top of the cooled Chocolate Layer and spread out. Allow to set up at room temperature for a minimum 2 hours before serving (you can serve before this if you don’t mind gooey layers).
- Brown the top with a kitchen blowtorch or by placing the pan under the broiler in the over with the pan on the lowest rack for 1-2 minutes. Watch it closely because it will burn fast!
- Serve immediately after browning and cut with a knife dipped in hot water for easier slicing. Best stored in the refrigerator, keep leftovers for up to 1 week.