We have the perfect Hearty Breakfast Bowl to get you ready for those long workdays. Filled with tons of nutrients from winter squash, zucchini, and hearty greens, it will provide the vitamins your body needs to function well. Healthy fats in the form of avocado and eggs offer satiation that will last you well into lunchtime.
Yields: 2 servings
For the bowls:
4 slices bacon
2 c. cubed butternut squash
2 small zucchini or yellow squash, sliced
3 c. dark leafy greens of choice
2 fried eggs
1 ripe avocado, sliced
Optional for topping: cilantro or microgreens
For the sauce:
2 scoops Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
1-2 tbsp. Frank’s Red Hot® sauce (or other Whole30 Approved hot sauce)
1 lime, juiced
1. Mix together Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides, mashed avocado, hot sauce (adjust to taste) and the lime juice until smooth.
2. To prepare the bowls: crisp the bacon in a large skillet. Set it aside on paper towels to catch the grease. Once cooled, crumble into small pieces.
3. Add the cubed butternut squash to the remaining bacon grease and cook until softened over medium heat, about 10 minutes. Add the sliced zucchini and continue to cook until the vegetables begin to brown, about another 10 minutes. Add the greens and sauté until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in the crumbled bacon. Season with sea salt and black pepper, to taste. Portion into two bowls.
4. Fry the eggs in the same skillet and add to the bowls, along with the sliced avocado.
5. Blend all sauce ingredients together.
6. Drizzle the sauce over and top with cilantro or microgreens, as desired.