A healthy lunch recipe so easy, you won’t think twice about making it. Pack it in a glass jar for a work lunch and just add hot water.
If you’re anything like me, planning and preparing meals throughout the week is a priority. But a lot of times, by the time I’ve written out recipes for dinner and the shopping list, I can’t brainstorm anything for lunch. Between work and other weekday obligations, it can be hard to think of an easy and healthy lunch to power you through the afternoon.
That’s where Vital Proteins comes in! Easy weekday lunch recipes can be hard to come by, but we have you covered here. This Pesto Chicken Zoodle Soup recipe is easy to make ahead of time or right when you are ready to eat lunch. If you do any type of meal prep or love to cook, you probably have a lot of these ingredients stocked in your pantry or refrigerator already.
This easy weekday lunch recipe is chock full of healthy vegetables, lean protein from chicken and of course our organic Bone Broth Collagen. Not only can you get Bone Broth Collagen in the canister for easy scooping and serving, we make it into stick packs to take easily on the go. If you’re going to work in an office or are out and about, grab a stick pack to add to your Pesto Chicken Zoodle Soup.
Zucchini is a versatile squash to use in recipes, as it can be cooked and prepared in many different ways, has a light flavor profile and is super healthy. For this easy weekday lunch recipe, the zucchini has been spiral cut into noodles. Zucchini noodles are a fun and healthy way to replace regular noodles if you are looking to avoid gluten and wheat. They are full of vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, vitamin C, magnesium, folate and potassium. Zucchinis are also full of fiber, making it a great option to support healthy digestion.
Mushrooms are another healthy ingredient in this soup. Mushrooms have an array of health benefits and phytonutrients. Since they can be eaten raw or cooked and are widely available, they are a no-brainer add in to this easy weekday lunch recipe.
To complete this lunch recipe, we added Bone Broth Collagen for a boost of collagen protein, pesto loaded with healthy fats (make your own or find at your local market) and lean protein from chicken breast. Not only will this meal keep you energized throughout the day, it will be so easy, you’ll probably find yourself making it over and over again.
- 2 T pesto (see recipe below)
- 1 Bone Broth Collagen stick pack (beef or chicken)
- ¼ t sea salt
- ¼ t black pepper
- 1 zucchini, spiralized into noodles
- 6 ounces grilled chicken breast or pulled rotisserie chicken meat
- ¼ C diced tomatoes
- ¼ C diced mushrooms
- 2-3 sliced green onions
- 8 ounces freshly boiled water
- In a large mason jar, travel mug or soup bowl, add in pesto, Bone Broth Collagen stick pack, sea salt and pepper. Stir together with spoon or chopsticks.
- Layer in the zoodles, chicken breast, tomatoes, mushroom and green onions.
- When ready to eat, top with fresh boiled water and let sit for 5 minutes. Stir it until combined or shake with a tightly sealed lid on top.
- Serve immediately.
- 1 C packed fresh basil leaves
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/3 C olive oil
- ½ t sea salt
- ⅓ C pine nuts
- 1 garlic clove
- In a food processor, basil, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pine nuts and garlic and pulse until well-combined.
Sarah Anderson is a freelance recipe writer, personal chef, and Certified Holistic Health Coach. She focuses primarily on healthy gluten-free and Paleo recipes. You can find her recipes and personal work on Instagram and Facebook @whitestripekitchen.