Finally, a gluten-free donut recipe you can get excited about! These Chocolate Protein Donuts feature a sweet strawberry glaze.
Do you love donuts? We sure do. But most donuts are laden with artificial sugar, gluten, and other ingredients that often cause issues for many individuals. Rarely do we come across such a delicious concoction as these Chocolate Protein Donuts, which are not only artificial sweetener- and gluten-free, but also offer the added benefits of whey and collagen protein (much like the other 49 recipes in our new E-book).
Imagine you could eat a donut and reap the benefits of a protein-packed, super-healthy breakfast. It’s not just a fantasy!
That doesn’t even touch on the delicious strawberry glaze that tops these sweet creations.
These amazingly yummy donuts were created by Karen Lao (@Karen.Lao) and are made with Vital Proteins Dark Chocolate and Coconut Water Collagen Whey. They made for a delicious start to your morning, or a delectable dessert to round out your day. (Bonus tip: These would be a fantastic alternative to birthday cake, too!)
- ¼ C coconut flour
- 2 scoops Vital Proteins Dark Chocolate and Coconut Water Collagen Whey
- 1/2 t baking powder
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 1/4 C unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 C plain Greek yogurt
- 1 egg
- 1½ C powdered sugar
- 1/2 C finely chopped strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease donut pan with coconut oil or butter and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together coconut flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large mixing bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk together applesauce, yogurt, and egg. Combine both bowls and whisk together well to make the batter.
- Fill donut molds with batter (I put the batter in a Ziploc bag and cut a small hole to use as a piping bag). Tap the mold on the counter to even out the batter.
- Bake donuts in oven for 10 minutes.
- While the donuts are baking, crush 1/2 cup of strawberries in a bowl. Add 1½ cup of powdered sugar and whisk until you have a thick glaze. Set aside.
- Remove donut mold from oven and let cool for 5 minutes. Then place donuts on cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Dip the donuts into glaze and serve.
- Tip: Slice and chop up strawberries to decorate your donuts! We suggest using Greek yogurt on one of the donuts so that the chopped strawberries stay on top.