We are celebrating the start of December with these delicious Chocolate Almond Crunch Donuts! Made with low-glycemic coconut palm sugar and free of gluten and grains, you can feel good about this celebratory treat. We’ve also packed them with our hydrolyzed Collagen Peptides for extra protein, which will help fill you up faster and help with those compulsions to reach for another one. Our Collagen Peptides also help to promote stronger hair, skin, nails, joints and gut. Bite into a delectable donut while also enjoying the health and beauty benefits our collagen has to offer!
This recipe can be doubled but they are best enjoyed the same day they are made.
Chocolate Almond Crunch Donuts
Yields 6 donuts
For the donuts:
- 2 eggs
- ½ C full-fat coconut milk
- ¼ C coconut oil
- ⅓ C coconut palm sugar
- 2 t apple cider vinegar
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1 t blackstrap molasses
- 5 T coconut flour
- ¼ C cacao powder
- 4 scoops Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
- 1 t baking powder
- ½ t baking soda
- ½ t sea salt
For the crunch topping:
- ½ C almonds
- ½ C pecans
- 2 T avocado oil
- 2 T coconut palm sugar
- ¼ t sea salt
For the glaze:
- ¼ C coconut butter
- 1 T coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 325F. Grease a 6-hole donut pan* and set aside.
- Prepare the donuts by adding the eggs, coconut milk, coconut oil, coconut palm sugar, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract and blackstrap molasses to the bowl of a stand mixer. Mix on medium speed until most of the sugar has dissolved, about 1 minute.
- Add the coconut flour, cacao powder, Collagen Peptides, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt. Mix on medium-high speed until smooth.
- Let the batter rest for 3-5 minutes to allow the coconut flour to absorb moisture and mix again briefly.
- Scoop the batter into a large ziplock. Twist the bag to gather the batter into one corner of the bag opposite of the ziplock seal.
- Snip ½-inch off of the corner of the bag and pipe the batter into the donut mold, filling the molds to about ¾-full.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack to cool (nearly) completely before topping.
- Prepare the crunch topping by increasing the oven temperature to 375°F. Have a lined sheet pan ready.
- Add the almonds, pecans, avocado oil, coconut palm sugar and sea salt to the bowl of a food processor.
- Pulse repeatedly until the mixture is broken up and crumbly, but not finely ground. Dump the nuts onto the lined sheet pan.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes or until crisp, removing the pan 1-2 times throughout the cooking to toss the nuts (caution: the outer nuts can burn easily).
- Prepare the glaze just before topping the donuts. Warm the coconut butter gently in the microwave or stovetop on low heat.
- Stir in the coconut oil until smooth. Pour the glaze into a wide, shallow bowl.
- To assemble, dip each donut into the glaze and coat the entire top side. Sprinkle with the crunchy nuts and enjoy!
*Note: because this is a gluten- and grain-free recipe, the batter works best with a deeper donut pan. Use a pan with a minimum 1″ depth donut cavities for best results.